During World War II, the United States Army’s bazooka rocket launchers were advantageous to their fighting strength. However, during the war, German adversaries captured some bazookas in North Africa from the Americans. The Germans reverse engineered the weapon, modifying it to launch larger projectiles.
Read the rest of this entry »
Collaboration always makes us happy - we were really excited about the partnership between Geomagic and Spaceclaim to create Geomagic Spark, a Scan-to-CAD software program that many in the CAD scene are excited about. For a long time, taking a object and turning it into a CAD model was a long, arduous process of either physically measuring the dimensions and modelling them or laser-scanning and cleaning up the point cloud and editing the mesh. That is, until now. Watch this video.
- Direct scanning into Geomagic Spark using hardware plug-ins for Faro, Hexagon and Creaform (others to be announced)
- CAD Modelling/Sketching (via the Spaceclaim API)
- Accurate extraction of surfaces, solids and sketches from the mesh
- Point cloud editing – Deletion, sampling, noise reduction, etc.
- Scan and process directly in a CAD application import point clouds, meshes and CAD formats
- Complete 3D models from incomplete scan data
- Push/pull geometry modification tools
- Create and edit large assemblies
- Quickly create annotated 2D technical drawing and 3D dimensions
- Interoperable with a range of CAD and PLM tools
- Interoperable with a range of CAD and PLM tools in addition to neutral file formats (IGES, STEP, OBJ, ACIS, and PDF)
- Compatible with a collection of powerful third-party add-ins for SpaceClaim, e.g., photorealistic visualization, PDM, analysis and CAM
For all of these features, there is a CAD program for it. But no one has managed to turn it into a singular product for MCAD users. This is particularly exciting for GrabCAD - digitizing and sharing has become a lot easier. Using Spaceclaim's API, the steep learning curve is diminished, allowing millions of Engineers and Designers with few CAD skills to be able to scan-and-model any part or product faster than before. One simple use could be repairing a broken part by scanning then stitching them together, creating a CAD file that is ready to be manufactured. Another is quick reverse engineering of discontinued or hard-to-find parts - a tremendous asset for extending the life of expensive machinery or equipment.
As of today, you can download a free trail here. Geomagic Spark is starting at $10,000.
Like what you've just read? Sign up to receive GrabCAD's free weekly Digital Thread newsletter.