1. By submitting an entry to the GE Jet Engine Bracket Challenge (“the Competition”) you are agreeing to be bound by the following legal terms (the “Official Rules”). The Official Rules also incorporate by reference the additional terms specified at www.ge.com/openinnovation and http://grabcad.com/challenges/ge-jet-engine-bracket-challenge (the “Competition Website”). THESE OFFICIAL RULES SUPERSEDE ANY OTHER RULES AND TERMS & CONDITIONS ON THE WEBSITE OF SPONSOR GRABCAD.
2. SPONSOR: GrabCAD, 222 3rd Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, is the Sponsor and Administrator (“GrabCAD” or “Sponsor”) of this Competition on behalf of General Electric Company. General Electric Company is the Prize Sponsor (“GE” or “Prize Sponsor”), 3135 Easton Parkway, Fairfield, CT 06828. Sponsor GrabCAD and Prize Sponsor GE are collectively referred to herein as Competition “Sponsors.”
3. COMPETITION DATES: The Competition commences on June 11, 2013 and Phase 1 submissions end on July 26, 2013 (the “Phase 1 Competition Period"). Phase 1 submissions are required for participation in Phase II.
4. GENERAL INFORMATION: Participation is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Multiple Entries (as defined herein) are permitted. Each Entry will be reviewed independently. You are responsible for checking applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction before participating in the Competition to make sure that your participation is legal. You are responsible for abiding by your employer's policies regarding participation in the Competition. Sponsors disclaim any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between you and your employer related to this Competition. You are responsible for all taxes and reporting related to any award that you may receive as part of the Competition.
5. ELIGIBILITY: The Competition is open to all individuals over the age of 18 at the time of entry and to all validly formed legal entities that have not declared or been declared in bankruptcy. Officers, directors, employees and advisory board members (and their immediate families and members of the same household) of GE, GrabCAD, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, contractors, agents and advertising and promotion agencies also are not eligible to participate in the Competition.
You are solely responsible for all equipment, including a computer and modem necessary to establish a connection to the World Wide Web; access to the World Wide Web and any telephone, data, hosting or other service fees associated with such access, as well as all costs incurred by or behalf of the Entrant in participating in the Competition.
6. COMPETITION OBJECTIVE: The objective of the Competition is to find the best 3D printable design for an airplane engine bracket.
7. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Competition, you must first create an account on www.grabcad.com (unless you already have such an account, in which case you need not create another account). All of the registration information that you provide is collectively referred to as your "Account." After creating an Account, you must register for the Competition at the Competition Website. At the Competition Website you will find further instructions. (If you have already created an Account at www.grabcad.com, enter your user name and password at the Competition Website and follow the instructions. By submitting your Entry (defined herein), you formally accept the Official Rules of this Competition.
By registering and submitting an Entry, you agree that (a) your Account is complete, correct and accurate and (b) your registration may be rejected or terminated and all Entries submitted by you may be disqualified if any of the information in your Account is (or Sponsors have reasonable grounds to believe it is) incomplete, incorrect or inaccurate. You are solely responsible for your Account. All registration information is deemed collected in the United States.
Entrant: Each registered individual or Team is referred to as an "Entrant" in these Official Rules.
Entry: An “Entry” is a submission uploaded to the Competition Website in the manner and format specified on the Competition Website. Entries must be in English, received during the Phase I Competition Period and adhere to the guidelines for Entries specified on the Competition Website. Entrants may submit multiple, non-identical Entries.
Sponsors are not responsible for (a) late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, incorrect or misdirected Entries or other communications, (b) errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines, or (c) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of Entry materials, loss or otherwise. Sponsors are not responsible for electronic communications or emails which are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in any email account to receive email messages. Sponsors disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with, the Competition.
Access to Design and Specs: After you complete the registration process, you will have access to the Design and Specs (as defined below) which will enable you to create and submit one or more Entries. All Entries must be received during the Phase 1 Competition Period. You may not sign up or submit Entries from multiple accounts.
Entrants must not use designs or specifications other than the Design and Specs provided to create their Entries. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Entrant who Sponsors discover has undertaken or attempted to undertake the use of designs and specifications other than those provided, or who uses the Design and Specs other than as permitted according to the Official Rules and guidance specified on the Competition Website.
Sponsors reserve the right to modify, remove or add data to the Competition Website upon notice to Entrants through their Accounts, via email using the email address associated with their Accounts and/or by such other reasonable means as Sponsors may determine. Entrants are urged to consult the Competition Website regularly during the Competition Period.
Sponsors shall have the right to remove any blog comment or posting related to the Competition from the Competition Website in their sole discretion at any time and for any reason.
BY REGISTERING FOR THE COMPETITION, YOU ACCEPT THE CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE JUDGES AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT ALL OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, THEN PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR THE COMPETITION. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU PRINT A COPY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES FOR YOUR FUTURE REFERENCE.
8. PHASES, ENTRY GUIDELINES AND TESTING
Phase I – During Phase 1, Entrants will create an improved aircraft engine bracket design using the design and specification information (“Design and Specs”) on the Competition Website. Entrants can use any CAD software to create the design but the Entry must be submitted as a STEP or IGES file. Entries must include the tag “generalelectric.”
Testing Performance Criteria: Entries will be analyzed and evaluated via simulation for performance. To simulate engine transport and demonstrate maximum loading capacity, the part will be subjected to the individual load conditions stated on the Competition Website, with the specified load being applied to ¾ inch diameter pin at interface 1 while interfaces 2-5 are fixed. For Entries that meet the performance criteria, the static loading will be increased to show ultimate capability. Entries that do not meet the interface dimensions will be disqualified.
Entries will be evaluated using the Phase I Judging criteria (defined herein). The top ten (10) engine bracket design Entries will receive awards (described herein) and be selected to move on to Phase II for fabrication and testing.
Phase II – The top ten (10) Entries from Phase I will be additively manufactured and subjected to the loading scenarios stated on the Competition Website. The top eight (8) Entries with the lowest mass which also satisfy all the testing performance criteria (defined herein and also set forth on the Competition website) will receive additional prize awards (described herein).
9. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS:
Entries: By submitting an Entry, you are not granting Sponsors any rights to any patents or pending patent applications related to the technology described in your Entry and Sponsors makes no claim to ownership of your Entry or any intellectual property that it may contain.
You agree that nothing in the Official Rules grants you a right or license to use the GE name or any GE trademark or service mark. You grant to Sponsors the right to include your company name (if your Entry is from a company) as an Entrant on the Competition Website and in materials related to Sponsors promotion of the Competition. Other than these uses, you are not granting Sponsors any rights to your trademarks.
Prize Winners: By accepting a prize award for your Phase I Entry, you agree to assign to GE all aspects and content of your Entry, including the intellectual property rights in and to your Entry and all intellectual property that it may contain or embody, including but not limited to all rights to any copyrights, design rights, and inventions (whether or not patentable). PRIZE WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO EXECUTE AN ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS IN ORDER TO CLAIM THE PRIZE.
Business Relationship: Participation in this Competition does not create an obligation on either your part or the part of GE to enter into any further business relationship or to sign any commercial agreement. If desired, GE and winners may negotiate in good faith a further business relationship that is mutually acceptable, but neither GE nor winner is under any obligation to do so.
10. CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: Since Sponsors do not wish to receive or hold any submitted materials “in confidence” it is agreed that, with respect to your Entry, no confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy is established between Sponsors and you, the company you represent when submitting an Entry, or the owner of any part of your Entry.
11. WARRANTIES: By submitting an Entry, you represent and warrant that all information you enter on the Competition Website is true and complete to the best of your knowledge, that you have the right and authority to submit Entries on your own behalf or on behalf of the persons and entities that you specify within the Entry, and that your Entry:
(a) is your own original work, or is used by permission with full and proper credit given within your Entry;
(b) does not contain confidential information or trade secrets (yours or anyone else’s) and is not the subject of a registered patent or pending patent application;
(c) does not violate or infringe upon the patent rights, industrial design rights, copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity;
(d) does not contain malicious code, such as viruses, timebombs, cancelbots, worms, Trojan horses or other potentially harmful programs or other material or information;
(e) does not and will not violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, rule or regulation;
(f) does not trigger any reporting or royalty obligation to any third party; and
(g) was not previously published and has not won any other prize/award.
A breach of a warranty set out in this provision will result in the corresponding Entry being invalid. In addition, you agree to indemnify Sponsors against all loss, damages and costs incurred by the Sponsors arising from your breach of the warranty.
12. DETERMINING THE WINNERS:
Judging - Entries in Phase I and II will be analyzed and evaluated by a panel of (5) five judges (the “Jury”) comprised of GE and GrabCAD engineering experts.
Phase I -The Entries will be analyzed and evaluated via simulation based on the identified performance criteria set forth on the Competition Website. Judging for Phase 1 will occur during a two week period from August 9th to August 23rd. The top ten (10) Entries that meet the performance criteria and eligibility verification will be selected as prize winners.
Phase II – The top ten (10) Entries from Phase I will be additively manufactured and subjected to the defined load cases on the Competition Website. Entries also will be evaluated for suitability for production from an additive manufacturing perspective. Other considerations will include determining load at failure and long term durability. Judging for Phase II will occur during a three month period from September 17 to November 15. The top eight (8) Entries that satisfy all the performance criteria with the lowest mass and also meet the eligibility verification will be selected as Phase II winners.
ALL DECISIONS OF GRABCAD, GE AND THE JURY WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING ON ALL MATTERS RELATING TO THIS CHALLENGE.
Phase I - The top (10) Entries in Phase I will each be awarded a prize of $1000 USD. The potential Phase 1 prize winners will be notified Sponsors on or about August 15, 2013.
Phase II – The top eight (8) Entries in Phase II will be awarded prizes set forth herein. The potential Phase II prize winners will be announced on or about November 15, 2013.
1st Prize $7000.
2nd Prize $5000.
3rd Prize $3000.
4th thru 8th Prize $1000./each
Prize awards are subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. Sponsors reserve the right to examine Entries for compliance with the Competition Rules. WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO EXECUTE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO A RELEASE AND ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS AS A CONDITION FOR RECEIPT OF A PRIZE. Winners may, subject to applicable laws and regulations, be screened to ensure they are not included on any Government Watch list.
No substitution or transfer of prizes is permitted. All taxes, fees and expenses and reporting associated with receipt and use of a prize are the sole responsibility of the prize winners.
All potential prize winners will be required to complete, sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Assignment of Rights (as described above) in order to claim the prize. If a winning Entrant is a U.S. citizen, potential winner must also sign and return an IRS form within the stated time in order to claim the prize. Potential winners will be disqualified and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner (the next qualified Entrant in the Competition) if (a) the required documentation is not returned when requested, (b) prize notification letter/email or prize is returned as undeliverable; or (c) potential winner is disqualified for any reason.
After verification of eligibility, each prize winner will receive the prize award through Paypal (http://grabcad.com/faq#money).
This is a contest of skill. Whether or not your Entry is determined as a winner depends on how your Entry compares to the other Entries submitted in the Competition when evaluated based on the Judging criteria.
14. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Competition, each Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless GE, GrabCAD, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotions agencies, as applicable, and each of their respective agents, representatives, officers, directors, shareholders, and employees (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”) from and against any injuries, losses, damages, claims, actions and any liability of any kind (including attorneys’ fees) resulting from or arising out of your participation in or association with or Entry submission to the Competition (including any claims alleging that your Entry infringes, misappropriates or violates any third party’s intellectual property rights) the Competition. Sponsor Entities are not responsible for any miscommunications such as technical failures related to computer, telephone, cable, and unavailable network or server connections, related technical failures, or other failures related to hardware, software or virus, or incomplete, late or misdirected Entries. Sponsors reserve the right to cancel, modify or suspend the Competition should any computer virus, bug or other technical difficulty or other causes beyond the control of GE and GrabCAD corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Competition, and to determine winners from among Entries not affected by the corruption, if any, in their sole discretion.
15. NO OBLIGATION: You acknowledge that multiple participants may submit Entries that contain designs, concepts or technologies similar to your Entry and that GE, its subsidiaries and business partners may already be investigating or developing technical solutions or business activities that are related or similar to those that you disclose in your Entry. You acknowledge and agree that GE’s action with respect to another Entry, or one of its own solutions or business activities, even if similar to your Entry, shall not create in GE any liability to you or others. Further, GE is not and shall not be restricted in any way from pursuing, developing, or commercializing, in any way that GE sees fit, independent of you and at GE’s sole discretion, any technology that is created independent of your Entry. For the avoidance of doubt, you acknowledge that GE is not obligated to take any action whatsoever with regard to your Entry.
16. SEVERABILITY: The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision was not contained herein.
17. WAIVER: By entering the Competition, you waive all rights to seek injunctive or equitable relief, or to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or attorneys’ fees.
18. LAW: You agree that these terms and the relationship between you and Sponsors shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the State of New York.